Current:Home > MyNorth Carolina roller coaster reopens after a large crack launched a state investigation -Capitatum
North Carolina roller coaster reopens after a large crack launched a state investigation
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 21:46:31
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A towering North Carolina roller coaster that shut down in June due to a large crack in its support column reopened Thursday after a month of repairs and testing, the park announced on its website.
Carowinds amusement park, which straddles the North Carolina and South Carolina line, came under investigation by the North Carolina Department of Labor after a video surfaced online of an operational roller coaster with a large crack in one of its columns. The footage of Fury 325, known as a “giga coaster” due to its dramatic height of 325 feet (99 meters), showed a support beam bending with the top visibly detached as cars packed with unsuspecting passengers whirled by at speeds of up to 95 mph (150 kph).
Park staff closed Fury 325 on June 30 after a visitor reported the crack. North Carolina Labor Commissioner Josh Dobson told The Associated Press last month that the crack had been visible for at least a week before the ride was shut down.
The Department of Labor’s Amusement Device Bureau, which is responsible for performing a final inspection and issuing the ride’s certificate of operation, did not respond to phone messages seeking comment on the status of its investigation.
Charlotte-based Carowinds announced Thursday that it reopened Fury 325 after replacing the broken column and completing a rigorous testing process. Crews installed a new steel column made by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, the ride manufacturer, and conducted an accelerometer test, which uses sensors to measure the vibration of a structure.
They then operated the ride for more than 500 full cycles while performing tests and inspections to ensure the ride’s safety. Bolliger & Mabillard and a third-party testing firm conducted a final inspection, and the state Amusement Device Bureau performed one of its own before approving the ride’s reopening, according to Carowinds.
veryGood! (598)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- RHOBH's Kyle Richards Addresses PK Kemsley Cheating Rumors in the Best Way Possible
- As the transition unfolds, Trump eyes one of his favorite targets: US intelligence
- RHOBH's Kyle Richards Addresses PK Kemsley Cheating Rumors in the Best Way Possible
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- 10 Trendy Bags To Bring to All of Your Holiday Plans
- Horoscopes Today, November 11, 2024
- Why Outer Banks Fans Think Costars Rudy Pankow and Madison Bailey Used Stunt Doubles Amid Rumored Rift
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Monument erected in Tulsa for victims of 1921 Race Massacre
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Powerball winning numbers for November 11 drawing: Jackpot hits $103 million
- New Yorkers vent their feelings over the election and the Knicks via subway tunnel sticky notes
- Jeep slashes 2025 Grand Cherokee prices
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Pennsylvania House Republicans pick new floor leader after failing to regain majority
- New Mexico secretary of state says she’s experiencing harassment after the election
- 'Underbanked' households more likely to own crypto, FDIC report says
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Olivia Munn Randomly Drug Tests John Mulaney After Mini-Intervention
Rare Alo Yoga Flash Sale: Don’t Miss 60% Off Deals With Styles as Low as $5
Panel advises Illinois commemorate its role in helping slaves escape the South
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Louisiana House greenlights Gov. Jeff Landry’s tax cuts
MLS Star Marco Angulo Dead at 22 One Month After Car Crash
Trump ally Steve Bannon blasts ‘lawfare’ as he faces New York trial after federal prison stint